- Despite the model name, this German-made quality inverter by SMA can connect mini wind turbines (as well as solar PV panels) direct to your domestic or small-business breaker box. It is also specifically suited for running an Airdolphin GTO™in high wind locations where this turbine model frequently outruns its 1.1 KW rated capacity and really shines performance-wise. No need for buffer batteries, no need for varistor-based capacitor modules or the like. Having a battery-free system is both better from an environmental point of view and less costly.
- batteries contain lead-acid or other harmful substances, batteries wear out over time, need to be disposed of and replaced leaving both poisonous waste and a nasty bill at that…
- batteries can only store and retrieve a set amount of the energy fed into them — usually between 55% and 80% — which means you are wasting some of the valuable power you just generated
- varistors (used in some battery-free low-voltage wind turbine settings) can produce EMF (electrosmog) and should not be placed in an attick close to a bedroom or child’s room but in an outbuilding, garage or the like
- specialised inverters for low-voltage setups — e g 25 Volts — tend to be more expensive than even a significantly more powerful solar PV inverter (produced in larger numbers at less cost)
- and, finally, grid-tied mini wind turbines are themselves more powerful and cost roughly 10% less than battery-charge models
Therefore, unless you are planning an off-grid or battery-charge system or prefer a low-voltage setup for any other reason, you might want to use the “Grid-Tie Optimised” variant for your Home Power needs.